This lifeboat was a 37ft x 9ft self-righter built by Forrest of Limehouse at a cost of £394.00. The station was opened on 18th November by Baroness Bolsover where a large crowd gathered to see her pulled through the streets to a new boathouse, costing £487.00 next to the Coastguard Station. Her first call came that same evening to sighted red flares near the Sunk light vessel 12 miles offshore.
Her most notable rescue was to German Barque Deike Rickmers that ran aground on the Longsand. They launched at 7pm on Christmas Day 1884 rescuing the crew of 25 & a dog, finally returning home on Boxing day at 8pm after being out for 24 hours.This Lifeboat continued in service until 5th July 1900.
This Lifeboat was a 43ft Norfolk & Suffolk class built by Thames Iron Works at Canning Town for a cost of £1420.00. This was one of 20 boats provided from the legacy of Mr James Stevens of Birmingham. This boat was put afloat on the south side of the pier & reached by a boarding boat. This move was a direct result of the private lifeboat True To The Core which was moored on the north side of the pier.
In August 1905 the RNLI decided to fit a 40hp Blake petrol engine into her at a cost of £575.00. She returned back on station in October 1908 after successful trials. Her most famous rescue was on 29th December 1917 when she saved 92 passengers from the steamer Peregrine aground on the Long Sand in a easterly gale. The James Stevens No14 has had a varied career since being replaced in 1928 (harbour launch, private yacht & house boat) then being returned to Walton in May 1998 where she is being fully restored as the oldest surviving motor lifeboat. See Links Page.
The EMED was a 43ft x 13ft Ramsgate built by J S White of Cowes IOW at a cost of £8,700 & fitted with 2 x 40hp petrol engines. This boat had a shallow draught for working the sands off the east coast with one being stationxed at Ramsgate & at Southend
Her most notable rescue were from the barges Esterel & Martha in 1939 and 1941, to a naval fishing vessel in 1945 & to a barge Will Everard in 1947. She was one of the RNLI Lifeboats that went to Dunkirk ferrying troops from the harbours to the large troop ships, she was manned by navel crew in these times. In 1953 she was then sold to Chilean Lifeboats where she remained in service for many years stationed at Valpariso.
This class was a Watson lifeboat 46ft x 12ft with twin 40hp diesel engines built by JS White at a cost of £28,000. She was a gift from Augustine Courtauld.
This lifeboat was a Solent class founded by the City of Birmingham Appeal costing £72,000 & built by Camper & Nicholson of Portsmouth. This Lifeboat had a very busy time stationed here at Walton. Her most notable launches were to the radio ships moored of this coast (Radio Caroline) The Ross Revenge. Her last launch was in July 1993 to a capsized dinghy of Frinton rescuing 4 out of the water this being the last lives saved by a 9knt lifeboat around the coast. She was then sold to Uruguary operating out of Puerto De Colonia for many years.
A 47ft Tyne class re-allocated from the Relief Fleet she was built in 1983 by Fairy Allday Marine IOW at a cost of £430,000 and named after a former RNLI chairman and his wife. She fitted with twin 425hp GM 8V71Ti engines which gave her a top speed of 18knts.
Her most notable call was in 1994 to the ketch Sadness aground on the Long Sand in a strong north easterly wind and rough seas.The Lifeboat had great difficulty in reaching the yacht in the shallow water but succeded in rescuing the two crew who were hanging onto the yacht’s guardrails minutes before it broke up. As the Lifeboat was leaving the yacht’s masts and rigging fell onto the lifeboat causing severe damage & disabling one off her engines. Despite this the lifeboat managed to clear the sands and the crew cut away the two masts and returned to Walton on one engine.
This was the first time that the newly appointed coxswain, Brian Oxley had been in command of the lifeboat.
Sam and Joan Woods returned to Walton on relief duty in 2004 and was the first lifeboat to moor in the new berth in Janaury 2005. Shortly after leaving Walton for the last time she was sold to China where she is still serving as a lifeboat.
A steel hulled Tyne class lifeboat powered by two 500hp Detroit Diesel engines with a top speed of 18 knots. Built at Souter Marine, IOW at a cost 0f £600,000, and originally stationed at Ramsgate 1900-95, she was funded by a legacy from Mr Kenneth Thewall of Yorkshire who also provided an Arun Class lifeboat, Kenneth Thelwall, stationed at The Humber 1987-1997 and Holyhead 1998-2003.
After being replaced by the new Tamar Class lifeboat she left Walton on May 15th 2011 for RNLI HQ, Poole, calling at Ramsgate en route. She has now been sold for use as a ferry boat at Castletownbere in Ireland and has been renamed Island Lad
Irene Muriel Rees was funded principally from the legacy of Miss Irene Muriel Rees of Ashtead, Surrey who died in August 2008. For many years Miss Rees had a summer holiday home at the Naze. She also made a significant donation to the restoration of the old Walton lifeboat James Stevens No. 14. Smaller legacies from Mrs Anne Cormack-Evans of Melton Mowbray and Mrs Annie Clara Mabel Arnold of Cambridge were also used to fund the total cost of approximately £2.7million.
The Tamar is fitted with an integrated electronic Systems and Information Management System (SIMS) so that the crew can monitor, operate and control many of the boat’s systems directly from their shock-mitigating seats, improving their safety.
The bespoke seats enhance crew comfort and safety. They also incorporate essential controls such as throttles and joystick with the trackball for the SIMS screen close to hand. The Tamar’s propellers and rudders lie in partial tunnels set into the hull that, along with steel-lined main and bilge keels, provide excellent protection from damage in shallow water or slipway operations.
In addition to her twin engines, the lifeboat is fitted with a hydraulic-powered bow thruster for improved manoeuvrability. The Tamar carries a Y boat, an inflatable powered daughter boat housed under the aft deck, which can be deployed from a hinged door in the transom.
The Y boat has a 15hp outboard engine and is used in moderate conditions to access areas the lifeboat cannot reach. Comprehensive first aid equipment includes stretchers, oxygen and Entonox and other equipment includes a portable salvage pump carried in a watertight container.
SIMSThe integrated electronic Systems and Information Management System (SIMS) offers the crew the ability to monitor, operate and control many of the boat’s systems directly from the safety of their seats. SIMS provides access to all communications (VHF, MF, DF, intercom), navigation (radar, chart, DGPS, depth and speed) and machinery monitoring including engines, transmission, fuel and bilge.